I wrote this note before Abdul Razzaq was selected for the IPL. This note was published in a Dubai newspaper Khaleej Times. However the newspaper edited major portions of my note. You can see the newspaper version at http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayLetters.asp?valid=5&strpath= (4th article)
I write this note to express disagreement with the joy many of myIndian brethren find in the conspiracy to leave out the Pakistanicricketers from the Indian Premier League. While Lalit Modi and Shilpa Shetty might say this was no deliberate snub we cannot expect peoplein their respective positions to say otherwise.
I can understand a case being made for an Umar Akmal not finding aspot in any IPL team. But who does Modi think he is fooling whensomeone like Shahid Afridi is not even bid on. Was he not even worth his base price? So we can safely assume this exclusion was a politicalmove by the ruling Congress party.
Obviously the Indian government and some of my Indian bretheren believe this maneuver will benefit India in some way. So tell me what does India gain by robbing a Shahid Afridi of an employment opportunity?
There are valid reasons for Indians to be upset with Pakistan. But our grudge should be with the Pakistani political class. Not with thecommon Pakistani. It is India's claim that Pakistani politicians allowanti India elements to thrive. But it is clearly not India's claimthat the 200 million citizens of Pakistan are actively plotting against India.
So Indians can say that the Pakistani politicians represent Pakistan. But we Indians should be the first to recognize the flaw with this argument. Most Indian politicians are not representative of theaspirations of the Indian people. If we cannot correct our own sorrysituation we should then grant the benefit of doubt to the commonPakistani for not being represented accurately by their politicalmasters.
So again what does India gain by robbing Shahid Afridi of an employment opportunity? We Indians have first hand experienced how improved economic conditions in India have diverted the attention of those who have benefited from the economic boom from loitering aroundto more productive activities.
My radical suggestion is that amongst the various tactic India deploysone we should actively pursue is to reduce idle minds in Pakistan.India should strive to increase employment in Pakistan. India should extend tax sops to the Reliance's & Infosys's of the world in lieu ofcreating a 1000 jobs each across Pakistan. To this extent we have reduced a few thousand idle minds.
India and BCCI might have moved miles ahead of Pakistan economically. So on all issues Pakistan, India can behave like a ruler. But rulers are remembered for thinking big.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Congrats on the blog Vineet. Good to see that someone with so many opinions is writing.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I have to say that I disagree with some of your points.
1) I dont think Pakistani players should be allowed in the IPL. I think we shld have no relations with Pakistan in the sports world at all. I have stated before to you on the examples such as South Africa being banned from all world sports during apartheid and the US boycotting the Moscow Olympics. My friend, Pakistan supports terrorism. Now I am not saying all Pakistanis are bad. They are not. I know a lot of Pakistanis who are great people. But that is not the point. The case is against the country and its policies.
2) As far as the IPL goes, I dont know if it was deliberate or not. If it was then it was stupid to put them in the auction in the first place.
3) As far as your radical suggestion goes that if corporate India provides some 1000 people in Pakistan employment it will reduce idle minds- So what? Big deal, there are idle minds everywhere. If you think that will reduce terrorism in any way, you should stop smoking what you are because it is probably an illegal substance.
Anyway, hope to see you writing more.
PG -
ReplyDelete1. In principle I think isolation is also an ok strategy. Once even I figured that as far as Pakistan is concerned thats the way to go. But after 26/11 and the self destruct mode Pakistan is in I am not so sure.
Isolating Pakistan creates more sympathy for the anti-India view in Pakistan. How are we all going to get rid of these anti India elements? We can say getting rid of them is Pakistan's problem. But they cant. So what can we do? I am not sure a top down approach will work in Pakistan any longer - there has to be a bottom up solution - and the solution (which you have condemned later) is creating jobs.
2. Dude it was clearly deliberate. Is Shahid Afridi not even worth his base price? While I was almost certain it was a Congress party stunt now it is emerging that this was a whole and sole Lalit Modi stunt. Which means the Indian govt actually did not intend to isolate Pakistan.
3. I see what you are saying. What you are saying is that the only consequence of 'idle minds' need not be terrorism. For example there are many people unemployed in the West but they dont become extremists. Nor was I suggesting that all idle people in Pakistan become extremists.
If you are saying that only creating 1000 jobs will reduce terrorism lets not make a big deal about the number of jobs I have suggested. The 1000 will become 5,000 which will become 50,000 which will become 500,000. So that process wil be gradual.
Let me think about this specific point more and post my comments later.
Please take a look at Afridi's performance here http://bit.ly/9yILGc I dont think he deserves that base price...
ReplyDeletebut sohail tanvir should be picked for sure
reg. politics, its bad and pakistanis should be allowed to play